There was a frog living in a well. Every day, it looked up at the sky.
井里住着一只青蛙,它天天抬头看天。
It thought the sky was as small as the opening of the well, and everything else must be the same.
它觉得天空只有井口那么大,别的地方也一样。
The frog was very confident and often said, "I know the sky the best."
青蛙很自信,总说:“我最懂天空。”
One day, a small bird flew by and rested at the edge of the well.
一天,一只小鸟飞来,停在井口歇息。
The frog saw it and asked, "Where do you come from?"
青蛙看见它,问:“你从哪儿来?”
The bird answered, "I’ve flown over high mountains and crossed vast seas."
小鸟回答:“我飞过高山,也飞过大海。”
The frog laughed and said, "Impossible! The sky is so small. How could you fly so far?"
青蛙笑了:“不可能!天这么小,你怎么能飞那么远?”
The bird shook its head and said, "The sky is very big, bigger than you can imagine."
小鸟摇摇头,说:“天很大,大到你想不到。”
The frog disagreed, "You're lying. I see the sky every day. It’s only this big!"
青蛙不服气:“你骗人,我天天都看天,天就这么大!”
The bird sighed and said, "You've always stayed in the well. How can you know the world outside?"
小鸟叹了口气,说:“你一直待在井里,怎么知道外面的世界?”
The frog didn’t believe it. It thought what it saw was the whole world.
青蛙不信,它觉得自己看到的就是全部。
The bird flapped its wings and said, "If you jump out, you’ll understand."
小鸟拍拍翅膀,说:“你跳出来看看,就会明白。”
The bird flew away, and the frog stayed in the well.
小鸟飞走了,青蛙依旧待在井里。
It still believed that the sky was as big as the well opening.
它还是觉得,天就是井口那么大。
It never jumped out and never saw the wider world.
它没有跳出去,也没有看见更广阔的世界。
This story tells us that if we only see the world in front of us,
这个故事告诉我们,如果只看眼前的世界,
we might, like the frog, think the sky is as small as the well opening.
就会像青蛙一样,以为天只有井口那么大。